The Part 1 of the GPDO - GENERAL Appeal Decisions document has been updated to include 2 additional appeal decisions relating to householder permitted development legislation, for which the conclusions are as follows:
October 2012 - Code a00347 (split decision):
- More than one wall facing the same direction can be “a wall forming a side elevation” (in the case where the elevation is staggered horizontally).
- This appeal decision provides an example of where it was concluded that a relatively short width of wall is “a wall forming a side elevation”.
- This appeal decision provides an example of the types of factors that should be taken into consideration when determining which elevation is “the principal elevation”.
- Where a proposed extension would be attached to another proposed extension, then the phrase “the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse” applies to the combined structure. [Note: In other words, the combined structure should be assessed against those limitations and conditions of Class A that apply to the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse].
- Where a proposed extension would be separated from another proposed extension by a relatively large gap, then the phrase “the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse” applies to each of the extensions separately. [Note: In other words, each of the extensions should be assessed individually against those limitations and conditions of Class A that apply to the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse]. (*)
- Where it’s proposed to erect two separate side extensions, one on each side of a detached house, then each of these side extensions could have a width up to half the width of the original dwellinghouse (i.e. this limit would not apply to the combined width of these side extensions). (*)
October 2012 - Code a00346 (appeal dismissed):
- [Note: To view these conclusions, please log onto the website as a member].
- To view the conclusions, full summaries, and decision notices for any of the above appeals, please view the Part 1 of the GPDO - GENERAL Appeal Decisions document. As a member of the Planning Jungle website, you can view the decision notices for all of the appeals within the above document for no extra cost.
- Any of the above conclusions marked with a "(*)" contradict other appeal decisions. The "Reference Section" within the above document indicates how many appeals have supported and contradicted each particular conclusion.