The "GPDO Part 3 Class O - Prior Approval Appeal Decisions" document has been updated to include 2 additional appeal decisions relating to office-to-residential conversions, for which the conclusions are as follows:
January 2016 - Code P3CO-145 (appeal dismissed):
- This appeal decision was assessed against the issues specified by paragraph O.2 as follows:
- “transport and highways impacts” = no assessment.
- “contamination risks” = no assessment.
- “flooding risks” = unacceptable (detailed assessment).
- This appeal decision provides an example of where the Inspector, when considering the “flooding risks on the site”, assessed the safety of occupiers of the resulting residential unit(s) and concluded that this would be unacceptable.
[Quote: “For the River Thames catchment area, it is argued that the system of monitoring and predicting rainfall and river flows and levels is extremely well developed and warnings of several days are easily possible. It is stated that flood levels would slowly rise giving plenty of time for people to take notice. However there is no guarantee that people would and could heed warnings to vacate. Many might decide to ‘stay put’ given that the scheme has been designed to be a dry and safe haven and I am not persuaded that occupiers would be aware of the time duration of flooding at the time of any warning. On this point, the EA has stated that the prolonged duration of a 1 in 100 year event with allowance for climatic change is likely to last up to 1 month which has not been challenged. Given this duration, it is unlikely that occupiers would be able to stay for a long time period because of the lack of supplies (fresh drinking water and food), power supply or sanitary provision.”].
January 2016 - Code P3CO-144 (appeal dismissed):
- [Note: To view these conclusions, please log onto the website as a member].
- To view the conclusions, full summaries, and decision notices for any of the above appeals, please view the "GPDO Part 3 Class O - Prior Approval Appeal Decisions" document. As a member of the Planning Jungle website, you can view the decision notices for all of the appeals on the website for no extra cost.
- Any of the above conclusions marked with a "(*)" contradict other appeal decisions. The "Reference Section" within the above document indicates how many appeals have supported and contradicted each particular conclusion.
- The above document also includes 25 "Potential fallback position" appeals, which are NOT summarised (only listed).