The Part 1 of the GPDO - GENERAL Appeal Decisions document has been updated to include 2 additional appeal decisions relating to householder permitted development legislation, for which the conclusions are as follows:
November 2017 - Code a00885 (appeal allowed):
- This appeal decision provides an example of where it was concluded that the following materials are “of a similar appearance” to one-another:
- windows with grey frames versus windows with white frames
[Note: On a single storey rear extension versus on the main house (respectively)].
- The conditions about materials (i.e. A.3(a) and B.2(a)) do affect the shape or size of windows. (*)
[Note: This appeal decision implies (rather than states) this conclusion].
[Quote: “The TG also provides a non-exhaustive list of examples of what factors might be taken into account when considering whether there is a similar visual appearance, including “their overall shape, and the colour and size of the frames”. Hence I consider that colour is only one factor of many that might be considered in an overall assessment of “similar appearance”. The grey framework to the glazing is different in colour to the existing white frames. However, the frames are both of very similar width. They are also both rectilinear with a vertical emphasis, and both white and grey frames have a flat sheen finish. At the time of my visit to the appeal site I was able to see that they were also very similar in profile thickness when open. While I accept the difference in colour is evident, it is not conspicuously so. Moreover, colour is only one of a number of factors to compare, as I have described above. In this regard I consider there to be more characteristics in common between the existing and new frames, than there are differences. As such, and while it may well not be the case in all situations, I find in an overall assessment of the particular circumstances of this appeal, that the grey frames are of a “similar appearance”.”].
November 2017 - Code a00884 (appeal dismissed):
- [Note: To view these conclusions, please log onto the website as a member].
- To view the conclusions, full summaries, and decision notices for any of the above appeals, please view the Part 1 of the GPDO - GENERAL Appeal Decisions document. As a member of the Planning Jungle website, you can view the decision notices for all of the appeals within the above document for no extra cost.
- Any of the above conclusions marked with a "(*)" contradict other appeal decisions. The "Reference Section" within the above document indicates how many appeals have supported and contradicted each particular conclusion.