The Part 1 of the GPDO - GENERAL Appeal Decisions document has been updated to include 2 additional appeal decisions relating to householder permitted development legislation, for which the conclusions are as follows:
June 2019 - Code a01058 (appeal dismissed):
- In the second of the above diagrams, (at least) part of “Roof Extension D” “extends beyond” the outside face of “Wall 1” (i.e. for the purposes of B.2(b)(ii)). [Note: The diagrams are viewable within the “Extend beyond” topic of this document]. (*)
[Conclusion: The roof extension does not comply with B.2(b)(ii) for the above reason].
- This appeal decision provides an example of where it was concluded that a particular roof extension does not constitute “an enlargement which joins the original roof to the roof of a rear or side extension” for the purposes of B.2(b). (*)
[Note: The proposed roof extension would join the main rear roof onto the pitched roof of the original two-storey rear projection].
- Where a property has a secondary roof that’s slightly lower than the main roof, then an extension on top of this secondary roof should be assessed against Class A (i.e. rather than Class B). (*)
[Note: The secondary roof is the roof of an original two-storey rear projection on a two-storey house].
- For the purposes of the post-06/04/2014 version(s) of Part 1 of the GPDO, where a property has an original rear projection with a side-facing pitched roof, part of which is lower than the main rear roof, then an “L”-shaped roof extension (or similar) that extends from the main rear roof onto the side roof of the original rear projection is not permitted development. [Note: The roof extension, for part of its (rearmost) width, extends across the original rear eaves]. (*)
[Conclusion: The works should be assessed against Class A. The works are contrary to A.1(i) of the GPDO 2015. Even if the works are assessed against Class B, then the works are contrary to B.2(b)(ii), noting that the roof extension does not constitute “an enlargement which joins the original roof to the roof of a rear or side extension”].
June 2019 - Code a01057 (appeal allowed):
- [Note: To view these conclusions, please log onto the website as a member].
- To view the conclusions, full summaries, and decision notices for any of the above appeals, please view the Part 1 of the GPDO - GENERAL Appeal Decisions document. As a member of the Planning Jungle website, you can view the decision notices for all of the appeals within the above document for no extra cost.
- Any of the above conclusions marked with a "(*)" contradict other appeal decisions. The "Reference Section" within the above document indicates how many appeals have supported and contradicted each particular conclusion.