The government has published the following consultation, which runs for 8 weeks from 26/10/2019 until 21/12/2019:
- The "Introduction" at the start of the above consultation document includes the following information:
- "There are several types of development corporations, governed by separate pieces of primary legislation dating from different periods. The main legislation relevant to this consultation is set out below.".
- "Development corporation type - Legislation
>>> New Town Development Corporation - New Towns Act 1981
>>> Urban Development Corporation - Local Government and Land Act 1980
>>> Mayoral Development Corporation - Localism Act 2011
>>> Locally-led New Town Development Corporation - New Towns Act 1981 / New Towns Act 1981 (Oversight Authority) Regulations 2018".
- "As development corporation legislation was designed at different times in response to different circumstances the corporations have varying powers and remits. The purpose of this consultation is to seek views on whether this varied legal framework inhibits the operation of development corporations, and to invite ideas on how the legal framework might be reformed. We want to hear your views on whether, and how, legislative reforms might ensure that, where it is appropriate for a development corporation to be used, a fit-for-purpose model exists.".
- "The consultation document covers three main areas of potential change:
>>> involving the private sector
>>> use of development corporations by local areas
>>> comparable powers for development corporations.".