[UPDATE: For the subsequent government response to this consultation, please view this post.]
The government has published the following consultation, which runs for 8 weeks from 07/02/2020 until 03/04/2020 (update: this consultation was extended by 4 weeks until 01/05/2020):
- The "Delivering First Homes" section within the above consultation document includes the following information:
- "51. This consultation explores two routes for supporting the delivery of First Homes through the planning system:
>>> a. To create a new requirement for developers to deliver First Homes alongside market housing, either through changes to planning policy or legislation.
>>> b. To amend the existing entry-level exception site policy to a First Home exception site policy.".
- "52. In addition, we are minded to amend secondary legislation to exempt First Homes from the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL).".
- The "Setting developer contributions for First Homes" section within the above consultation document includes the following information:
- "54. To support people to realise the dream of home ownership, the Government wishes to ensure that more developer contributions are used to deliver homes sold at a discount. There are two broad options;
>>> a. Prescribe that a percentage of affordable homes delivered through section 106 planning obligations should be First Homes; or,
>>> b. Prescribe that a percentage of all units delivered on suitable sites (over 10 units) are to be sold as First Homes.".
- Note: The webpage (link) for the above consultation also includes the following document:
- "A guide to First Homes".