The following 1 new Statutory Instrument (SI) comes into force "immediately before 1st September 2020":
- September 2020: SI 2020 No. 895 - The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) (Amendment) (England) (No. 3) Regulations 2020 (pdf) (link).
- The above SI 2020 No. 895 makes amendments to the following SI:
- SI 2020 No. 757 - The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2020.
- Note: The above SI 2020 No. 895 (which comes into force "immediately before 1st September 2020") is effectively a correction to SI 2020 No. 757 (which comes into force on "1st September 2020"), albeit that the former has been published as a separate Statutory Instrument (SI), rather than as a "Correction" to SI 2020 No. 757.
- Note: The "Explanatory Memorandum" (link) to SI 2020 No. 895 states the following:
- "The Use Classes Order groups different uses of buildings and other land into use classes. A change of use within a single use class is not considered to be development and therefore in most circumstances does not require planning permission. The Amendment Regulations [SI 2020 No. 757] revise and replace certain use classes in relation to England (see new Schedule 2: namely, Class E (Commercial, Business and Service), Class F.1 (Learning and non-residential institutions) and Class F.2 (Local community)).".
- "The purpose of Class F.2 as substituted by the Amendment Regulations [SI 2020 No. 757] is to ensure that buildings used by local communities, including below a certain size mostly selling essential goods where there is no other such facility within 1000m, may not undergo a change in use (other than to another local community use within Class F.2) unless planning permission is granted.".
- "This instrument corrects a drafting error in regulation 13, and the inserted Schedule 2, Part B, of the Amendment Regulations [SI 2020 No. 757] substituting "280 square metres" in place of "280 metres square" in relation to the maximum dimensions that are to apply in the definition of a shop within Class F.2.".
Other Sources of Information:
- August 2020: "Explanatory Memorandum" to SI 2020 No. 895 (pdf) (link).
- Note: For more information about SI 2020 No. 757, please view this post.
Updates to the Planning Jungle website:
- The "Use Classes Order 1987 (Consolidated)" document has been updated to incorporate the above SI 2020 No. 895.