[UPDATE: For the subsequent legislation relating to this press release, please view this post.]
The government has issued the following press release, which states its intention that new homes delivered via permitted development rights will need to meet the nationally described space standard:
- September 2020: Government press release - ""Permitted development" homes to meet space standards" (link).
- The above press release includes the following information:
- "The measures announced today will mean that all new homes in England delivered through [PD] rights will in the future have to meet the Nationally Described Space Standard.".
- "The space standard begins at 37m2 of floorspace for a new one bed flat with a shower room (39m2 with a bathroom), ensuring proper living space for a single occupier.".
- "This change builds on reforms introduced by the government last summer to ensure that all new homes delivered through permitted development provide adequate natural light.".
Comments by the Planning Jungle website:
- Although it's not clear from the above press release, it appears that this change will need to be made by a Statutory Instrument (SI) that amends the GPDO 2015. As of today (03/10/2020), such a SI has not yet appeared on the government website www.legislation.gov.uk.