The following 1 new Statutory Instrument (SI) came into force on 29/12/2022:
- December 2022: SI 2022 No. 1309 - The Assistance with Voting for Persons with Disabilities (Amendments) Regulations 2022 (pdf) (link).
- Regulation 11 and Schedule 6 of the above SI 2022 No. 1309 make consequential amendments to the following SI:
- The Neighbourhood Planning (Referendums) Regulations 2012.
- The "Explanatory Note" (link) at the end of the above SI 2022 No. 1309 includes the following information:
- "These Regulations [SI 2022 No. 1309] amend various provisions in secondary legislation in consequence of, or to make similar provision to, section 9 of the Elections Act 2022 (c. 37). The Regulations [SI 2022 No. 1309] make provision in respect of a number of types of elections and referendums, and also petitions for the recall of MPs.".
- "These Regulations [SI 2022 No. 1309] replace the current requirement for Returning Officers (or other equivalent officials) to provide polling stations with a device for voters with sight loss with a new requirement to provide each polling station with such equipment as is reasonable to enable, or make it easier, for voters with disabilities (including, but not limited to, sight loss) to vote (or to sign a signing sheet in the case of petitions for the recall of MPs).".
- "These Regulations [SI 2022 No. 1309] also amend the criteria for who can act in the role of ‘companion’ to a person with a disability for the purposes of voting (or signing a signing sheet), by enabling anyone who is aged 18 or over to act in that capacity, irrespective of their relationship to the person who is voting (or signing a signing sheet). These Regulations [SI 2022 No. 1309] also amend various electoral forms that contain the declaration to be made by the companion of a voter with disabilities.".
- Note: Regulation 11 and Schedule 6 of the above SI 2022 No. 1309 come into force "on the 22nd day after the day on which these Regulations are made". In other words, regulation 11 and Schedule 6 of the above SI 2022 No. 1309 come into force on 29/12/2022.
Updates to the Planning Jungle website:
- The "Neighbourhood Planning [OTHER] Regulations 2012" page has been updated to list the above SI 2022 No. 1309.