This document provides the conclusions and decision notices for INCIDENTAL appeal decisions relating to householder permitted development legislation (i.e. the "incidental" requirement of Part 1 Class E):
(Excel document, opens in a new window).
[Note: To enable the above link, please log onto the website as a member].
Example Screenshot for the above document:
Statistics for the above document:
- Last updated: 02/03/2017 (checked for updates on a monthly basis)
- Total number of appeal decisions: 215
Notes for the above document:
- The "INCIDENTAL Appeal Decisions" tab within the above document shows the conclusions for all of the appeal decisions, and provides the following information:
- The "PJL Code". [Note: You can use this code to view the appeal decision notice and (if applicable) the costs decision notice, which are available below on this webpage].
- A note as to whether the outbuilding was found to be "INCIDENTAL" or "NOT incidental", and information about the types of rooms within the outbuilding.
- Information about the area of the outbuilding, and the area of certain types of rooms.
- Some key quotes from the decision notice, and an indication of whether costs were awarded.
- On this webpage (please see below), for each appeal decision there is a link to the appeal decision notice and (if applicable) the costs decision notice. These links are only visible to members, and there is no extra cost for clicking on them. This means that only members can see the full details of each appeal decision, including the Planning Inspectorate's reference, the site address, the decision date, the name of the local authority, etc.
- Whenever new appeal decisions are added to the above document, their conclusions (short version) are posted on the Updates page of this website (see the category below) and are included within the next version of the Updates by Email (weekly).
Updates relating to this page:
- To view a list of updates relating to this page, please view the following category:
- Category: Part 1 of the GPDO - INCIDENTAL Appeal Decisions
Information about the how the courts have interpreted the "incidental" requirement:
If you're looking for information about how the courts have interpreted the "incidental" requirement set out by the heading of Part 1 Class E, then the following appeal decision notices are a good place to start:
- September 2009 - Code b00002 - see paragraph 13.
- March 2010 - Code b00013 - see paragraphs 7, 8, 10, 11.
- December 2012 - Code b00084 - see paragraphs 16-22.
- November 2013 - Code b00106 - see paragraphs 7-10.
- December 2013 - Code b00113 - see paragraph 4.
- January 2015 - Code b00134 - see paragraphs 11-12.
- April 2015 - Code b00147 - see paragraphs 13.
Links to the Appeal Decision Notice and (if applicable) the Costs Decision Notice:
- [Note: To view this list of documents, please log onto the website as a member].