How do the phrases "1-4 employees", "5-9 employees", "10-19 employees" and "20 or more employees" apply:
- The above phrases apply based on the total number of employees within your organisation, rather than the number of employees who intend to use the Planning Jungle website. This is illustrated by the following examples:
- Example: If your organisation consists of (say) 2 planners and 4 other staff, then the above phrase "5-9 employees" would apply, even if fewer than 5 of your staff intend to use the Planning Jungle website. As such, the cost would be £120 (i.e. £100 + VAT) to cover all employees for 1 year.
- Example: If your organisation consists of (say) 4 planners and 8 other staff, then the above phrase "10-19 employees" would apply, even if fewer than 10 of your staff intend to use the Planning Jungle website. As such, the cost would be £180 (i.e. £150 + VAT) to cover all employees for 1 year.
- Example: If your organisation consists of (say) 8 planners and 16 other staff, then the above phrase "20 or more employees" would apply, even if fewer than 20 of your staff intend to use the Planning Jungle website. As such, the cost would be £240-£1,200 (i.e. £200-£1,000 + VAT) for 1 year. This is calculated on the basis of £120 (i.e. £100 + VAT) for 1 year for each office where staff will use the Planning Jungle website, subject to a minimum of £240 (i.e. £200 + VAT) and a maximum of £1,200 (i.e. £1,000 + VAT). Please note that although the above phrase "20 or more employees" applies based on the total number of employees within your organisation, if you fall within this category then you can choose how many of your offices to cover.
- Note: The term "organisation" refers to your overall organisation (i.e. your company, LLP, etc), rather than a department, team, etc within your organisation.
- Note: For a "Local Authority" there is a fixed cost of £240 (i.e. £200 + VAT) to cover all employees for 1 year, regardless of the number of employees or the number of offices.
- Note: If you want to purchase a membership for your own personal use (e.g. for an extension at your own property), and the membership will not be used for any work at any organisation, then please purchase the membership marked "1-4 employees", for which the cost would be £60 (i.e. £50 + VAT) for 1 year.
- Note: It’s not possible to purchase a membership on behalf of a network, forum, or other similar type of group.
Why is the cost of membership based primarily on the size of the overall organisation, rather than on the number of employees who intend to use the website:
- A larger organisation is likely to have a much higher turnover than a smaller organisation, and therefore it's considered fairer that the former should pay a higher membership fee than the latter.
- For example, a sole trader would pay £60 (i.e. £50 + VAT) for 1 year, whereas an organisation with "20 or more employees" for which only 1 employee intends to use the website would pay £240 (i.e. £200 + VAT) for 1 year. However, it should be noted that £240 (i.e. £200 + VAT) for the larger organisation is still likely to be a more minor expenditure than £60 (i.e. £50 + VAT) for the sole trader.
- Furthermore, for both the sole trader and the larger organisation, the ability for no extra cost to access more than 4,000 appeal decision notices can very quickly justify the annual cost of membership, particularly noting that it's possible to pay £114 (i.e. £95 + VAT) for a single appeal decision notice elsewhere.
What if it's unclear what cost would apply to your organisation:
- Please contact "Steve Speed" at the email address shown on the "Our Registered Details, and Contact Us" page, providing information about the nature of your organisation (e.g. total number of employees, number of offices, etc).
Are there any restrictions on the number of employees who can access the website concurrently:
- There are no restrictions on the number of employees who can access the website concurrently. This means that there will never be a situation where some of your employees can’t use the website because other employees are using it at the same time.
Are there any extra costs relating to any of the information on the Planning Jungle website:
- There are no extra costs relating to any of the information on the Planning Jungle website.
- For example, for no extra cost, members are entitled to sign up to the "Updates by Email (weekly)" service, which enables them to keep fully up-to-date with the issues covered by the Planning Jungle website. To view a sample version of this weekly email, please click here.
- For example, for no extra cost, members can access more than 4,000 appeal decision notices on the Planning Jungle website.
- All membership options provide full access to all of the benefits of the Planning Jungle website, as described on the Benefits of Membership page.
Is it possible to ask questions about schemes, interpretations, etc:
- Unfortunately, the Planning Jungle website can not provide comments on schemes, or discuss interpretations, etc, as this isn't part of the service that's provided. Instead, members benefit from full access to all of the information on the website, as described on the Benefits of Membership page. Please note that the Planning Jungle website does not undertake consultancy work, either as part of the membership service or as a separate service.
Is it easy or difficult to use the documents on the website:
- Most of the documents on the website are relatively technical documents. As such, most members of the Planning Jungle website are local authorities, planning consultants, and developers, rather than members of the public.
- For example, the "Part 1 of the GPDO - GENERAL Appeal Decisions" document currently has more than 2,000 pages, including a "Reference Section" with more than 150 pages. Although significant efforts have been made to try to simplify this document (as far as possible), it remains a relatively technical document (and relatively time-consuming to use) because it contains the conclusions of almost 1,000 appeal decisions.
- Having said the above, some members of the public do purchase a membership - for example, applicants or objectors who are willing to spend the time to research a particular interpretation.
Is it possible to have a free trial:
- At present, there are no plans to introduce an option on the website for a free trial.
- For non-members who would like to sample the types of documents that are produced by Planning Jungle Limited, please view the Free Documents page.
Is the cost of membership subject to VAT:
- With effect from 01/01/2016, Planning Jungle Limited is registered for VAT, and therefore the cost of membership is subject to VAT (at the standard rate of 20%).
- During the process to become a member, you will be asked whether you require a VAT invoice. If you answer "Yes", then you will be sent a VAT invoice via email.
- Our VAT registration number is GB 228 9155 84.