This page provides information about the main documents on this website:
BASIC user (e.g. member of the public, etc):
- If you want to learn about householder permitted development legislation, then the best place to start is the "Part 1 of the GPDO - Visual Guide" document. After this, the main documents are as follows:
- If you want to check the interpretation of a particular part of the legislation (e.g. because you disagree with your Council's interpretation, etc), then please view the "Part 1 of the GPDO - GENERAL Appeal Decisions" document (note: for outbuildings under Part 1 Class E, then please also view the "Part 1 of the GPDO - INCIDENTAL Appeal Decisions" document).
- If you want to build a larger rear extension under Part 1 Class A, then please view the "Part 1 of the GPDO - Larger Rear Extensions - Guide" document and the "Part 1 of the GPDO - PRIOR APPROVAL Appeal Decisions" document.
ADVANCED user (e.g. local authority, planning consultant, etc):
- Please follow the above advice for a "BASIC user". After this, the main documents are as follows:
- If you want to learn about the amendments to the GPDO since 2013, please view the "Part 1 of the GPDO – Summary of Amendments since 2013" page and the "Other Parts of the GPDO – Summary of Amendments since 2013" page.
- If you want to view planning secondary legislation (e.g. the UCO 1987, etc), it's highly recommended that you to do so via the "Consolidated Legislation" and "Other Legislation" sections of this website (which significantly reduce the risk of applying a superseded part of the legislation), rather than via the government website.
- If you want to find out how Inspectors have interpreted a wide range of planning law issues (e.g. other than permitted development legislation), please view the "All Other LDC Appeal Decisions" document.