This page provides information about the main documents on this website:
BASIC user (e.g. member of the public, etc):
- To learn about householder permitted development legislation, the best place to start is the Part 1 of the GPDO - Visual Guide document. After this, the main documents are as follows:
- If you want to check the interpretation of a particular part of the legislation (e.g. because you disagree with your Council's interpretation, etc), please view the Part 1 of the GPDO - GENERAL Appeal Decisions document.
- If you want to build a larger rear extension (i.e. under the "neighbour consultation scheme" that runs from 30/05/2013 to 30/05/2019), please view the Part 1 of the GPDO - Larger Rear Extensions - Guide document and the Part 1 of the GPDO - PRIOR APPROVAL Appeal Decisions document.
ADVANCED user (e.g. local authority, planning consultant, etc):
- Please follow the above advice for a "BASIC user". After this, the main documents are as follows:
- If you want to learn about the amendments since 2013 to the GPDO, please view the "Part 1 of the GPDO – Summary of Amendments since 2013" page and the "Other Parts of the GPDO – Summary of Amendments since 2013" page.
- If you want to view planning secondary legislation (e.g. the UCO 1987, etc), it's highly recommended that you to do so via the Consolidated Legislation and Other Legislation sections of this website (which significantly reduce the risk of applying a superseded part of the legislation), rather than via the government website.
- If you want to find out how Inspectors have interpreted a wide range of planning law issues (e.g. other than permitted development legislation), please view the All Other LDC Appeal Decisions document.