The following 1 new Statutory Instrument (SI) comes into force on 31/10/2023 and 31/01/2024:
- October 2023 and January 2024: SI 2023 No. 1147 - The Representation of the People (Postal and Proxy Voting etc.) (Amendment) Regulations 2023 (pdf) (link).
- Regulation 18 and Schedule 9 of the above SI 2023 No. 1147 makes consequential amendments to the following SI:
- The Neighbourhood Planning (Referendums) Regulations 2012.
- The "Explanatory Note" (link) at the end of the above SI 2023 No. 1147 includes the following information:
- "These Regulations [SI 2023 No. 1147] make provision related to the implementation of section 3 (restriction of period for which person can apply for a postal vote) and section 6 (limit on the number of electors for whom a proxy can vote) of the Elections Act 2022 (c. 37) ("EA 2022"), as well as amending provisions related to the processing of applications for electoral registration under section 10ZC of the Representation of the People Act 1983 (c. 2) ("the 1983 Act").".
- "Regulations 14 to 20 [of SI 2023 No. 1147] amend various instruments to make equivalent amendments to election, referendum and recall petition rules to those made to the UK parliamentary election rules in Schedule 1 to the 1983 Act by paragraph 4 of Schedule 4 to EA 2022 and to update the prescribed form of equivalent poll cards and proxy poll cards. Additionally, in relation to Police and Crime Commissioner elections and recall petitions, regulations 17 and 19 [of SI 2023 No. 1147] makes equivalent amendments to those made by Parts 2 and 3 of these Regulations [SI 2023 No. 1147] for the online submission of absent voting or absent signing applications and associated verification procedures and powers.".
Updates to the Planning Jungle website:
- The "Neighbourhood Planning [OTHER] Regulations 2012" page has been updated to list the above SI 2023 No. 1147.